Changing Lives,
One Client At A Time

Massachusetts child custody modification when situation improves

Change is a fact of life, whether for the worse, or, hopefully, for the better. Everyone makes mistakes, but with luck and hard work, many people learn from those mistakes and try to improve both as individuals and as parents. If a Massachusetts parent lost custody of his or her children but has since made positive life changes, there are options for child custody modification.

The first step in beginning to rebuild a parent-child relationship may be demonstrating, both to the legal system and to all parties involved, that these parents are working to put past troublesome issues behind them. This could involve holding down a steady job or taking parenting classes to show that they are ready to handle the responsibility of parenting. Of course, Child Protective Services will need to agree that the parent is not a safety risk to the children.

At this point, if the custodial parent or current legal guardian does not recognize the parents’ desire to become part of their children’s lives again, it may be time to consider contacting a lawyer. While the guardians probably have the children’s best interests in mind, they may be too clouded by their feelings about past issues to see that circumstances have changed for the better. However, if there is a custody agreement in place, a legal guardian cannot prevent parents from seeing their children.

Even if the process simply begins with supervised visitation, as time progresses and the situation continues to improve, the custody agreement can be further modified. If parents in Massachusetts feels that they would like to modify their current child custody situation in any way, the first step might be to consider contacting a family law attorney. A lawyer with experience in child custody cases can counsel the client on legal parental rights and offer advice on how best to proceed.

Source:, “Family: I am a recovering addict and want to see my children“, Kathy Lauer-Williams, Dec. 25, 2016


FindLaw Network