Roncone Law Offices, P.C.
Call Our Attorneys:
978-401-0825 | 877-261-4389
Menu Contact

Getting a child support modification, what needs to be done?

There are several reasons parents in Massachusetts or elsewhere may want to request changes to standing child support orders. Successfully obtaining a modification is a possibility -- under the right circumstances. However, it can take a little work.

Why might a custodial or non-custodial parent want a child support modification? One of the biggest reasons is due to changes in income. Custodial parents may seek higher amounts of child support if the paying parent's income increases. Non-custodial parents, on the other hand, may seek a reduction if they experience a reduction in income, loss of employment, disability or incarceration.

The other main reason modifications are generally sought involve health care coverage. One parent is usually ordered to provide health care coverage for his or her child. However, if that coverage is no longer available, he or she may seek to have that obligation removed from the order of support.

Seeking a child support modification in Massachusetts or elsewhere requires that certain petitions be filed in court. Parents will generally have to attend a hearing on the matter, specifically the parent who is requesting the change. He or she will have to provide proof a substantial change in circumstances in order for the court to consider making the modification. While this can be done alone, having legal counsel on one's side may prove invaluable. One's legal representative can help prepare the necessary documents and argue one's case in court, which could certainly relieve quite a bit of stress and pressure from one's plate.

Source:, "How to Make Changes to Your Court Order", Accessed on March 23, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Clients and Peers Are Saying ...

"Please take my word for it, this is the attorney that you want on your side and certainly not the one that you want against you.”

Email Us For A Response

Contact Us For A Free Initial Phone Consultation

Tell us about the type of case you are faced with. We'll tell you how we can help. Call us at 877-261-4389 or send us an e-mail to speak with a Leominster and Worcester area personal injury attorney, family law, or criminal defense lawyer today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Roncone Law Offices, P.C.

142 Main Street
Leominster, MA 01453

Toll Free: 877-261-4389
Phone: 978-401-0825
Fax: 978-840-6000
Map & Directions