Roncone Law Offices, P.C.
Call Our Attorneys:
978-401-0825 | 877-261-4389
Menu Contact

Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines and out-of-state parents

As a custodial parent, having to deal with obtaining a child support order can be challenging and downright frustrating at times. Unfortunately, there are many parents throughout the country who are not receiving the support to which they may be entitled. In accordance with the Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines, those who find themselves in this position do have options when it comes to gaining the financial support they need for their children.

Numerous parents are dealing with attempting to obtain support orders and collecting payments from noncustodial parents who live or have moved out of state. Those in this type of situation may feel that there is little that can be done. Thankfully, the state has a plan in place to help with this type of problem.

One of the first things a custodial parent can do when seeking an order of support from a parent who does not reside in Massachusetts is to simply file a petition for a support order to be made. If this fails, it may be possible to file an interstate petition for child support. Taking this action will get the appropriate agency in the noncustodial parent's place of residence involved. In cases involving out-of-state parents, paternity testing may be needed before support orders are granted. Again, this is something that can be handled in the noncustodial parent's home state.

Obtaining a child support order when a noncustodial parent lives out of state can be difficult and may take longer than usual; however, it is not an impossible task. Legal assistance is available to help those in this position understand the Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines and what rights they have when seeking orders of support. Just because a noncustodial parent lives out of state does not relieve him or her from financial responsibility. A custodial parent can seek help in fighting to obtain the support needed to provide for his or her child's needs.

Source:, "Parent to Pay Lives in Another State or Outside of the United States: 4. How do I get a child support order if the parent paying support lives in another state?", Accessed on Nov. 24, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Clients and Peers Are Saying ...

"Please take my word for it, this is the attorney that you want on your side and certainly not the one that you want against you.”

Email Us For A Response

Contact Us For A Free Initial Phone Consultation

Tell us about the type of case you are faced with. We'll tell you how we can help. Call us at 877-261-4389 or send us an e-mail to speak with a Leominster and Worcester area personal injury attorney, family law, or criminal defense lawyer today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Roncone Law Offices, P.C.

142 Main Street
Leominster, MA 01453

Toll Free: 877-261-4389
Phone: 978-401-0825
Fax: 978-840-6000
Map & Directions